SEO is an acronym for “Search Engine Optimization”. Optimizing your website for search can be very time-consuming and tedious if you decide to tackle it on your own. But, there are some basic principles, clearly laid out by Google, that anyone can do to improve their website’s search ranking. Applying the following techniques and advice below may make a big difference in your website’s search ranking in Google and other search engines. IF you’re not planning to hire an SEO company to improve your search ranking, there are a few things you can do to potentially improve your search engine ranking.
NOTE: Google’s website is probably the best resource available regarding best practices in search engine optimization. Most of the information below (and much more!) can be found here. Google is still king!
ANOTHER NOTE: SEO companies exist to help you achieve better natural search engine ranking and they can also help you market your website online. Sko Design Lab is not an SEO company, but we are aware of SEO best practices. This means that we design and code websites in a manner that allows SEO to be enhanced by the site owner or an SEO or SEM (Search Engine Marketing) company. If you’re considering hiring an SEO company, read this.
Your Website is live, now what?
1) If you have a new URL (i.e. domain name), submit your URL to Google here. If you already had a website on your URL and now you have a new website and content, be patient because your new website will be indexed soon. For information on how Google indexes a website, read this.
GETTING Found BY YOUR CUSTOMERS ONLINE
How do you know what keywords and phrases your customers are using to search for your products & services?
1) Use Google’s free keyword tool to find relevant keywords.
2) Analyze your competitors’ websites. The websites that are ranked high in google for your best keywords are the sites that you can analyze to see why they may be ranked so well. Look at their page titles, content, and keywords used in links. While you should never copy their website content in any way, don’t be afraid to use the same keywords and phrases on your website to get a higher search ranking.
Google explains how they rank websites here.
Add keywords to your page titles, meta descriptions, and meta tags
If your site was built with the EasyEdit CMS (Content Management System), you can reference the instructions below to improve your website’s visibility using unique page titles, meta descriptions, and meta tags on each page of your website.
1) Login to your EasyEdit control panel using the login information provided by Sko Design Lab.
2) Click the “SEO” tab. Here you will specify titles and meta info that will appear for any pages that are not defined individually. You will define individual pages later.
Website Keywords should adhere to the following: (1) keep your list of keywords or phrases down to 10-15 unique words or phrases; (2) separate the words or phrases using a comma; (3) don’t repeat words or phrases; (4) your most important words or phrases should be at the beginning of the list.
The Default Page Title should be written according to Google’s guidelines. For this global page title, write one that would fit well for the content of your home page.
The Default Page Description should be written according to Google’s guidelines. For this global page description, write one that would fit well for the content of your home page, describing your business, products, and/or services.
3) Specify page titles, descriptions, and keywords for each page of your website. This is very important. First select a page, and click “edit”. Click “Change SEO Info” and fill out each field, keeping Google’s guidelines in mind.
Include keywords and phrases throughout your website CONTENT
Write unique content without being overly wordy. Don’t repeat your keywords too often, but include your top keywords at least once that are related to the content on a given page. Search “writing good website content” on Google if you’re having trouble or have questions.